Tetracyclines and their Resistance
Department of Environmental Engineering, Munzur University, Tunceli, Turkey
- Corresponding Author:
- Murat Topal
Faculty of Engineering
Department of Environmental Engineering
Munzur University, Tunceli, Turkey
Tel: 0428 2131794
E-mail: [email protected]
Received date: August 14, 2017; Accepted date: October 04, 2017; Published date: October 11, 2017
Citation: Topal M (2017) Tetracyclines and their Resistance. Adv Tech Clin Microbiol Vol.1 No.3:17
Besides the human and veterinary medicine, the antimicrobials have usage in various areas as aquaculture, food technology, agriculture and animal husbandry . The total amount of antimicrobials used worldwide is estimated in 100,000-200,000 tonnes/year [2-4]. Since 1950s, tetracycline (TC) antibiotics which rank second both in the production and usage of antibiotics worldwide have been widely used in human and veterinary medicine to treat bacterial infections and promote animal growth [5-9]. The global sales of TCs were 1.6 billion dollars in 2009 [6-10]. These properties support their usage especially in developing nations [11-13].
TCs, both natural and semisynthetic, form a large group of products produced mainly by Streptomyces spp. They have a broad-spectrum of activities including inhibition of many common Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, chlamydia, rickettsie, etc.; they are distinguished mainly for bacteriostatic action caused by inhibition of protheosynthesis [14-17]. Only a small fraction of TC is absorbed or metabolized in the human body [18,19]. Therefore, they mostly excreted from the body (urine and feces) as unmetabolized parent compound . Active part of TC in urine is approximately 20-55% [21,22]. Human excretion rate for TC in the aquatic environment is high (70%) [6,23]. They have a high aqueous solubility and a long environmental half-life [24,25]. It has been reported that TCs have been found in soils , surface water [27,28] and groundwater [22,29].
The residues of antibiotics may cause some adverse effects on organisms and environment. They have chronic toxic effects on terrestrial organisms. They may effect microorganism’s resistance [30-32]. Long persistence of antibiotics leads to concern of widespread antibiotic resistant bacteria and resistance genes in the aquatic environment . The antibiotic resistant bacteria and genes can no longer be treated with the presently known drugs [9,34,35]. TC resistance of the organisms emerged soon after its discovery six decades ago. In order to impart resistance, microorganisms use various molecular mechanisms (target protection, active efflux, and enzymatic degradation). A deeper understanding of the structure, mechanism, and regulation of the genes and proteins associated with TC resistance will contribute to the development of TC derivatives that overcome resistance .
TCs have high risk of occurrence of antibiotic resistant bacteria in various environments. TCs are frequently detected in the surface waters where the effluents of the wastewater treatment plants and agricultural activities reach [37,38]. In order to reduce negative impacts on environment, it is necessary to understand input sources for antibiotics .
- Barbosa TM, Levy SB (2000) The impact of antibiotic use on resistance development and persistence. Drug Resist Updat 3: 303-311.
- Kümmerer K (2003) Significance of antibiotics in the environment. J Antimicrob Chemother 52: 5-7.
- da Costa PM, Oliveira M, Bica A, Vaz-Pires P, Bernardo F (2007) Antimicrobial resistance in Enterococcus spp. and Escherichia coli isolated from poultry feed and feed ingredients. Vet Microbiol 120: 122-131.
- Arslan TE (2015) Uptake of tetracycline and metabolites in Phragmites australis exposed to treated poultry slaughterhouse wastewaters. Ecol Eng 83: 233-238.
- Hopkins ZR, Blaney L (2014) A novel approach to modeling the reaction kinetics of tetracycline antibiotics with aqueous ozone. Sci Total Environ 468-469: 337-344.
- Topal M, Uslu SG, Öbek E, Arslan EI (2016) Investigation of relationships between removals of tetracycline and degradation products and physicochemical parameters in municipal wastewater treatment plant. J Environ Manage 173: 1-9.
- Wan Y, Bao Y, Zhou Q (2010) Simultaneous adsorption and desorption of cadmium and tetracycline on cinnamon soil. Chemosphere 80: 807-812.
- Ouaissa A, Chabani Y, Amrane M, Bensmaili A (2014) Removal of tetracycline by electrocoagulation: Kinetic and isotherm modeling through adsorption. J Environ Chem Eng 2: 177-184.
- Topal M, Uslu SG, Öbek E, Arslan E (2016) Removal of tetracycline and the degradation products by Lemna gibba L. exposed to secondary effluents. Environ Prog Sustain Energy 34: 1311-1321.
- Hamad B (2010) The antibiotics market. Nat Rev Drug Discov 9: 675-676.
- Chopra I, Roberts M (2001) Tetracycline antibiotics: Mode of action, applications, molecular biology and epidemiology of bacterial resistance. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 65: 232-260.
- Bogialli S, Curinz R, Di Corcia A, Laganà A, Rizzut, G (2006) A rapid confirmatory method for analyzing tetracycline antibiotics in bovine, swine and poultry muscle tissues: Matrix solid-phase dispersion with heated water as extractant followed by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Agric Food Chem 54: 1564-1570.
- Miranda JM, Rodríguez JA, Galán-Vidal CA (2009) Simultaneous determination of tetracyclines in poultry muscle by capillary zone electrophoresis. J Chromatogr A 1216: 3366-3371.
- Debut Y (1988) The Veterinary Formulary, Pharmaceutical Press, London.
- Cooper AD, Stubbings GWF, Kelly M, Tarbin JA, Farrington WHH, et al. (1998) Improved method for the on-line metal chelate affinity chromatography high-performance liquid chromatographic determination of tetracycline antibiotics in animal products. J Chromatogr A 812: 321-326.
- Tylova T, Olsovska J, Novak P, Flieger M (2010) High throughput analysis of tetracycline antibiotics and their epimers in liquid hog manure using ultra performance liquid chromatography with UV detection. Chemosphere 78: 353-359.
- Topal M, Uslu SG, Öbek E, Arslan E (2016) Bioaccumulation of tetracycline and degradation products in Lemna gibba L. exposed to secondary effluents. Desalination and Water Treatment 57: 8270-8277.
- Sarmah AK, Meyer MT, Boxall ABA (2006) A global perspective on the use, sales, exposure pathways, occurrence, fate and effects of veterinary antibiotics (VAs) in the environment. Chemosphere 65: 725-759.
- Li G, Zhang D, Wang M, Huang J, Huang L (2013) Preparation of activated carbons from Iris tectorum employing ferric nitrate as dopant for removal of tetracycline from aqueous solutions. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 98: 273-282.
- Addamo M, Augugliaro V, Paola A, GarcÃ„Â±´a-Lo´pez E, Loddo V, et al. (2005) Removal of drugs in aqueous systems by photoassisted degradation. J Appl Electrochem 35: 765-774.
- Dökmeci I (1985) Pharmacology, friends medical books, kÃ„Â±rklareli, 2nd edn, p: 1002e1005.
- Topal M (2015) Uptake of tetracycline and degradation products by Phragmites australis grown in stream carrying secondary effluent. Ecol Eng 79: 80-85.
- Luo Y, Guo W, Ngo HH, Nghiem LD, Hai FI, et al. (2014) A review on the occurrence of micropollutants in the aquatic environment and their fate and removal during wastewater treatment. Sci Total Environ 473-474: 619-641.
- Li ZH, Schulz L, Ackley C, Fenske N (2010) Adsorption of tetracycline on kaolinite with pH-dependent surface charges. J Colloid Interface Sci 351: 254-260.
- Lin Y, Xu S, Li J (2013) Fast and highly efficient tetracyclines removal from environmental waters by graphene oxide functionalized magnetic particles. Chem Eng J 225: 679-685.
- O’Connor S, Aga DS (2007) Analysis of tetracycline antibiotics in soil: advances in extraction, clean-up and quantification. TrAC Trends Anal Chem 26: 456-465.
- Valverde RS, García MDG, Galera MM, Goicoechea HC (2006) Determination of tetracyclines in surface water by partial least squares using multivariate calibration transfer to correct the effect of solid phase preconcentration in photochemically induced fluorescence signals. Anal Chim Acta 562: 85-93.
- Tsai WH, Huang TC, Chen HH, Huang JJ, Hsue MH, et al (2010) Determination of tetracyclines in surface water and milk by the magnesium hydroxide coprecipitation method. J Chromatogr A 1217:415-418.
- Ouaissa YA, Chabani M, Amrane A, Bensmaili A (2014) Removal of tetracycline by electrocoagulation: Kinetic and isotherm modeling through adsorption. J Environ Chem Eng 2: 177-184.
- Kemper N (2008) Veterinary antibiotics in the aquatic and terrestrial environment. Ecol Indic 8: 1-13.
- Leal RMP, Figueira RF, Tornisielo VL, Regitano JB (2012) Occurrence and sorption of fluoroquinolones in poultry litters and soils from Sao Paulo state. Braz Sci Total Environ 432: 344-349.
- Topal M, Topal A (2016) Determination and monitoring of tetracycline and degradation products in landfill leachate. Clean Soil Air Water 44: 444-450.
- Kim H, Hong Y, Park J, Sharma VK, Cho S (2013) Sulfonamides and tetracyclines in livestock waste-water. Chemosphere 91: 888-894.
- Addamo M, Augugliaro V, Paola A, GarcÃ„Â±a-Lopez E, Loddo V, et al. (2005) Removal of drugs in aqueous systems by photoassisted degradation. J Appl Electrochem 35: 765-774.
- Zhu XD, Wang YJ, Sun RJ, Zhou DM (2013) Photocatalytic degradation of tetracycline in aqueous solution by nanosized TiO2. Chemosphere 92: 925-932.
- Thaker M, Spanogiannopoulos P, Wright GD (2010) The tetracycline resistome. Cell Mol Life Sci 67: 419-431.
- Saitoh T, Shibata K, Hiraide M (2014) Rapid removal and photodegradation of tetracycline in water by surfactantassisted coagulation-sedimentation method. J Environ Chem Eng 2: 1852-1858.
- Topal M, Arslan T (2015) Occurrence and fate of tetracycline and degradation products in municipal biological wastewater treatment plant and transport of them in surface water. Environ Monit Assess 187: 750.
- Zhou LJ, Ying GG, Liu S, Zhao JL, Yang B, et al. (2013) Occurrence and fate of eleven classes of antibiotics in two typical wastewater treatment plants in South China. Sci Total Environ 452-453: 365-376.