Reach Us +44 118 315 0749

Abstract

Nursing Students Perceptions about the Characteristics of an Effective Clinical Instructor and Clinical Training Policies in Gaza Strip

Objective: The overall aim of this study is to assess the nursing students’ perceptions about the characteristics of an effective clinical instructor and clinical training policies at the colleges that run bachelor of nursing programs in Gaza Strip.

Methods: A descriptive-analytical cross-sectional study was used. The research participants were selected through quota sampling. The sample size included 298 nursing students from the 3rd and 4th levels from five colleges and universities. Selfadministered questionnaires were distributed. Cronbach's alpha was calculated for the questionnaire by more than 0.7. Data were analyzed by using Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) version 23.

Results: The findings showed that the female students represented (53.4%) of the respondents while the male students (46.6%). The data indicated with regard to the educational level of students found that slightly more than half of them were from the 3rd level (56.4%) and the remaining from the 4th level (43.6%). According to the results, the highest characteristic was “Professional Competence/Knowledge” with weighted mean (87.38%), followed by “Communication” with weighted mean (87.01%) and “Teaching/Training Skills” in 3rd rank with weighted mean (86.64%). While the most effective clinical training policies as perceived by nursing students were the appropriate selection of training site with weighted mean (87.45%), objective evaluation with weighted mean (87.05%), and adequate clinical hours for clinical courses to achieve the objectives with weighted mean (86.51%).

Conclusion: The study concluded that clinical nursing teaching is in need to improve its quality for both, the clinical instructors and policies.


Author(s):

Abstract | Full-Text | PDF

Share This Article