Carbon Monoxide Poisoning as a Result of an Open-Air Barbecue Activity

Introduction:Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and non-irritant gas created from improperly burning carbon-containing fuels. In this article, we present a case of CO poisoning as a result of exposure to smoke during an open-air barbecue activity.

Case report: A 22-year-old male patient was admitted to the emergency department with complaints of headache, nausea, and fatigue for five hours after barbecuing eight hours ago in the open air at the seashore. A COHb level was 4.5% in arterial blood gas. The patient was treated with 100% oxygen by mask. He did not have any complaints after oxygen therapy. Following treatment, his COHb level was 2.3%. The patient was discharged with suggestions from emergency department.

Discussion and Conclusion: In our country, CO poisoning is caused by CO gas inhalation from burning of coal improperly in indoor coal-burning stoves, especially in the winter months. However, CO poisoning should also be kept in mind during the summer months when we meet a patient with a history of barbecue grilling, particularly associated with headache, nausea, fatigue and symptoms suggestive of acute viral syndrome.

Author(s): Dikme O, Dikme O and Topacoglu H

Abstract | Full-Text | PDF

Share This Article
17+ Million Readerbase
Recommended Conferences
Google Scholar citation report
Citations : 32

Journal of Emergency and Trauma Care received 32 citations as per Google Scholar report

Abstracted/Indexed in
  • Google Scholar

View More »

Flyer image