Reach Us +44-1625-708989
All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Abstract

Unusual Case of Stroke in Fracture Supracondylar Femur in Hypertensive Adult Male

Stroke is a major health problem in India. 80% strokes are ischemic strokes and remaining 20% are hemorrhagic. In hypertensive patient, cause of ischemic stroke is mostly due to atheroma formation in the arteries. Uncontrolled high blood pressure increases a person's stroke risk by four to six times.

The risk of stroke is directly related to how high the blood pressure is. Stroke patients may have an increased risk of fractures because of weak bones or an increased risk of falling. Females, older age, low abbreviated mental test score and pre-stroke dependence are associated with an increased fracture rate. In animal model bone fracture increases alarmins and proinflammatory cytokines in the blood, and provokes macrophage infiltration and proinflammatory cytokine expression in the hippocampus.

In murine experiment Bone fracture, shortly after stroke, enhances stroke-related injuries in brain by augmenting the neuro-inflammatory response. Many studies state cause of fractures after stroke but it is uncommon for ischemic stroke to occur after traumatic fracture.

We present an uncommon occurrence of ischemic stroke on third day post traumatic fracture supracondylar femur in a 45-year-old known hypertensive patient.


Author(s): Harsh Bhardwaj, Ramandeep Singh and Ketan Pandey

Abstract | Full-Text | PDF

Share this  Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn  Google+