Deputy director of School of Medicine (Experimental, Diagnostic and Specialty Medicine Department - DIMES) of University of Bologna
Prof. Ing. Emanuela Marcelli graduated with honors in Electronic Engineering in 1997 at the University of Ancona. In 1998-1999 she attended the Biomedical Technology Unit of the Surgical and Anestesiological Department of University of Bologna, as post-graduated student. From 1998 to 2002 she performed research activity on new technologies in cardiology, in the field of implantable devices, for the company "TRE ESSE Progettazione Biomedica s.r.l." of Bologna, particularly being involved in the research consulting activity for the "Sorin Biomedica Cardio s.r.l.". From 01/10/2002 to 29/12/2011 she was Assistant Professor at University of Bologna. Since 2012 she is Associate Professor at the School of Medicine (Experimental, Diagnostic and Specialty Medicine Department - DIMES) of University of Bologna, Scientific Field (SSD) Industrial Bioengineering (ING-IND/34). Since November 2015 she holds the position of deputy director of DIMES.
She collects expertise in areas related to implantable cardiac devices, implantable sensor systems for cardiac function monitoring, artificial organs. Specifically, she has more than 15-years experience in the field of implantable sensors for cardiac function monitoring and from 1998 to 2002 she contributes to the development of a sensor of cardiac contractility based on a micro-accelerometer inserted inside the heart (US7664547), which is currently used in cardiac pacing devices available on the market.
She is author/co-author of over 100 papers and abstracts published on international journals and on proceedings of international congresses, of which 28 are indexed in Scopus (19 published in journals with IF: mean IF 2015 1,8±1,2; total IF 2015 34,1).
She is inventor and co-inventor of 8 US patents, 6 European patents and 18 Italian patents, most of all most of all focused on innovative technologies for cardiac applications
- Technical Reviewer for journals: Medical Engineering & Physics; Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology;
- Member of the evaluation panel for the Committee CES 17 of French National Research Agency (ANR), concerning the 2014 Work Programme - Generic Call for Proposals - July 2013.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the scientific journal ?Hospital & Public Health?;
- Member of the Professors Committee of the PhD Course in Electromagnetism and Bioengineering (Marche Polytechnic University) ? from 2003 to 2011.
- implantable sensors for monitoring cardio-pulmonary mechanics;
- cardiac monitoring by non-invasive wearable systems;
- systems for short-range data transmission from implantable cardiac devices;
- eye tracking systems;
- technologies for simulation in medical education;
- robotic systems for interventional cardiac procedures;
- systems for blinking recovery in patients with unilateral facial paralysis;
- technologies to improve adhesion in metal-ceramic dental restorations.